Monday, September 16, 2013

Green Tomato Pesto - My Hubby's Specialty

 Hello + Hello!
How are you my friends?
I've been enjoying the fruits of the season....have you?
Lately my hubby's selection of delicious heirloom tomatoes
has been ripening up and overproducing.
(Yippee!!!)
But....
we just know they aren't all going to make it to
a red, orange or yellow state of deliciousness.
So
he gathered up a big bunch of
greenies
&
went to town making
Green Tomato Pesto!
 Have you ever tried this method?
We just LOVE it!
The best part is once you've pureed up a batch....
you simply freeze it to preserve it!
 We use ice cube trays.....
 ...it makes it simple and easy to pull a few out to make:
-pasta sauces
-dips
-soups & stews
or
-salad dressings
 If you've found you are going to be stuck with a
plentitude of green tomatoes....
maybe you would like to try this too?
If so....
here is the recipe for:
First, gather your ingredients:
-1/2 cup mint
-1/2 cup basil
-1/2 cup arugula
-1/2 cup dill
 
Chop all herbs and add to blender or food processer.
Then add:
5 medium green tomatoes, cut up
1 clove minced garlic
2 T. fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Blend slowly while drizzling in 1/2 cup of olive oil.
 
Once the mixture is to your liking
(there is no correct consistency, some like it chunky...others smooth)
pour it into ice cube trays and freeze.
 
Once frozen, place in airtight freezer bags or containers to be used for future recipes.
I also recommend cooking up a big
pot of pasta right then....
so you can enjoy your fresh
Green Tomato Pesto
RIGHT AWAY!
 
>>>>>--------------->
 
Recipe from the late and great


2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing and looks even BETTER! I am sooo going to give it a go. Thank you my friend...and thank you talent husband. Oh and I really do need to make some time to get down to see you. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have saved this one for a summer's day. It looks wonderfully interesting. Have you ever tried Nigel Slater's green tomato chutney? It's a real winner for those end of season tomatoes.(Easy to find online) I love your beautiful style of blogging, yours in one of my favourites. AND I could so so relate to your apple pie post. There's nothing like a little kitchen comfort to banish the blues. Lovely, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Hello + Hello
I can't wait to hear from you!!!
:)